Petition for Tuition Classification
For the full Board of Regents Policy on tuition classification and waivers, please see the University System of Georgia Policy.
Verification of Lawful Presence
A USG institution may award out-of-state tuition differential waivers and assess in-state tuition for certain non-Georgia residents under the conditions listed below. Notwithstanding any provision in this policy, no person who is unable to show by the required evidence that they are lawfully in the United States shall be eligible for any waiver of tuition differential. Institutions shall comply with the procedures governing the award of out-of-state tuition waivers as established by the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Chief Academic Officer. The definition of residency status is contained in Board of Regents’ Policy 4.3.
Petition for Georgia Residency
Students who have been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes who believe that the submission of additional information could alter that decision may submit the above petition and supporting documentation to request to be considered for reclassification to an in-state resident. Students are encouraged to read the entire policy regarding eligibility for a change in residency status located on the form. The petition should be submitted with all necessary documentation attached, at one time, so a decision can be accurately rendered. Additionally, students are encouraged to submit as much documentation as he/she deems necessary to support the request for in-state tuition classification. The burden of proof of documentation of the residency situation ultimately rests with the student. Additional documentation to support the petition may be requested by the Tuition Classification Officer.
In some cases, students may not meet eligibility requirements to qualify as a resident of Georgia and be assessed in-state tuition; however, they may be eligible for an out-of-state tuition waiver. Unlike the Petition for Tuition Classification, waivers are valid for a limited period of time usually up to 12-consecutive months or as long as the student remains continuously enrolled. Students approved to receive a waiver remain classified as a Non-Resident, but the out-of-state portion of their tuition will be waived by the Business Office. Once the waiver expires or the student has a break in enrollment, he/she will return to being charged out-of-state tuition. It is the student’s responsibility to select the appropriate form suitable for his/her unique situation and submit the documents necessary to support the selected waiver. All waiver applications and documents must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation and a decision will be rendered. Students are notified of the decision via an email delivered letter. Listed below are the potential Out-of-State Tuition Waivers a student may qualify for:
Waiver is available to students attending the Augusta campus living in Aiken or Edgefield county, South Carolina; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
Border State Waivers: Undergraduate students domiciled in another state bordering Georgia subject to the following conditions. Each year, the Chancellor shall review the enrollment levels at each USG institution to determine whether any USG institutions have sufficient excess capacity to increase recruitment of students from neighboring states. Should the Chancellor determine that cause exists to activate the Border Residents Waiver, the Chancellor or his designee will present the list of institutions to the Board of Regents’ Committee on Academic Affairs for approval. If an institution is given permission to award the Border Residents Waiver, it will be allowed to do so for the next three academic years. Any undergraduate students receiving the Border Residents Waiver will remain qualified for the waiver so long as he or she is continuously enrolled during fall and spring semesters at the institution that awarded the waiver.
- Note: Once the waiver has been applied to your account you will still be classified as a non-resident of the state of Georgia: however, your account will reflect the in-state tuition charge.
Waiver applies to U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents and other Eligible Non-Citizens (dependent or independent students) that can provide clear and convincing evidence that the student (or student's parents) relocated to Georgia to accept full-time, self-sustaining employment; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
Waiver applies to full-time employees in the public schools of Georgia or Technical College System of Georgia, their spouses and/or their dependent children; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
This waiver applies to the following:
Active Duty Military Personnel, their spouses and their dependent children who meet one of the following:
- The military sponsor is currently stationed in or assigned to Georgia;
- The military sponsor previously stationed in or assigned to Georgia is reassigned outside of Georgia and the student(s) remain(s) continuously enrolled in a Georgia high school, Technical College System of Georgia institution and/or a University System of Georgia institution;
- The military sponsor is reassigned outside of Georgia and the spouse and/or dependent children remain in Georgia;
- The military sponsor is stationed in a state contiguous to the Georgia border and resides in Georgia;
- Dependent children of a military sponsor, previously stationed in or assigned to Georgia within the previous five years or the child completed at least one year of high school in Georgia; or
- Any student utilizing VA educational benefits transferred from a currently serving military member is also eligible; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
Active Members of the Georgia National Guard stationed or assigned to Georgia or active members of a unit of the U.S. Military Reserves based in Georgia, and their spouses and/or their dependent children; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
Separated Military Members from a uniformed military service of the United States who meet one of the following:
- Individuals who within thirty-six (36) months of separation from such service, enroll in an academic program and demonstrate intent to become domiciled in Georgia. This waiver may also be granted to their spouses and dependent children; or
- Any separated service member or any student utilizing transferred VA educational benefits, and physically residing in the state, who enrolls within 120 months of separation; or
- Any individual as described in 38 U.S.C. 3679(c); please see the full policy information
located on the form above.
Waiver applies to students under 24 whose parent or U.S. court-appointed legal guardian has maintained domicile in Georgia for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the start of an upcoming term and can provide clear and convincing evidence showing the relationship to the parent or U.S. court-appointed legal guardian OR a student 24 years old or older providing clear and legal evidence showing relations to a spouse who has been domiciled in Georgia for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the start of an upcoming term; please see the full policy information located on the form above.
Waiver applies to teachers employed full-time on military bases in Georgia; please see the full policy and requirements located on the form above.
- Mandatory Fees for U.S. Military Reserves and GA National Guard Combat Veterans Waiver
Waiver applies to U.S. Military Reservist and GA National Guard Combat Veterans who meet one of the following: 1) Served in a combat zone for at least 181 consecutive days since September 11, 2001; or 2) Received full disability as a result of injuries suffered in combat during that time; or 3) Were evacuated from a combat zone due to severe injuries suffered during any time while on active duty; please see the full policy and requirements located on the form above.
Senior Citizen Waiver
Waiver applies to State of Georgia residents, 62 years of age or older; please see the full policy and requirements located on the form above.